Sunday, June 9, 2013

COLLLECTIBLE STICKS

From time to time I make "Collectible Walking Sticks". These are one of a kind sticks that I make to enter in carving competitions and most are for sale. My inspiration comes mainly from an idea that  has been bubbling in my head for a sometime. I'll spend a lot of time thinking about it, drawing sketches and researching. Finally I select the wood and begin carving/creating.

One such stick is my Civil War Theme walking stick "Brothers in Arms". This was inspired by the 150th anniversary of the Civil War and the Battle of Gettysburg. The Civil War took an enormous toll on this country, more Americans died and/or were wounded than in any other war before or since.

Additionally, families were torn apart. Many times brothers, cousins, neighbors took up arms for different sides. One family member may of joined the North while others joined the South. The purpose of my "Brothers in Arms" walking sticks is not to make any sort of political statement, but to simply represent the terrible cost the war placed on families.

The stick is 52" +/- tall and is topped with a carving of a Union and a Confederate soldier wrapped in their flags. The shaft has a banner carved down it's length with the words Brothers in Arms hand carved into the banner. A copper end cap finishes the piece and protects the end.

Current Price is $195.00

Sine this picture of the walking stick was taking, I added "Gettysburg July 1-3, 1863". This was carved into the natural color spiral.


I have other collectibles which I'll post in the near future. If there is something you would like carved contact me and I will be happy to quote prices. I also make a whole range of sticks in various styles starting at just $12.00 for a natural stick. All my sticks have at least three coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil. Tung oil is used on the finest furniture because unlike polyurethane or shellac  it is a penetrate that soaks deeply into the wood creating a very long lasting water resistant finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment